Thursday, June 7, 2007

so it begins....

So I'm building a modular synthesizer. I've been building electronic instruments on and off for about 10 yrs or so. I started with a Paia theremin kit in '97 then migrated to circuit bending after seeing an article by Reed Ghazala in the Journal of Experimental Musical Instruments. From there I started building stuff from scratch based on schematics from books and on the web. Through all of this I've been developing a better feel for the type of sounds I'd like to be able to make and was feeling limited by my current gear. I decided to put together a modular system that would be uniquely suited to my particular sonic inclinations.

After a few months of planing, stuff is starting to materialize. I have pcb's to put together at least 2/3rds of the system and the first couple of parts orders have been dispatched.
A big part of the planning has been devoted to how to make the front panels. I ultimately decided to make the panels from brass because I could etch the graphics myself and also because I can solder to brass reasonably easily, so things like standoffs can be attached directly to the panel. [ click picture for big but blurry version]

No comments: